Nikolas Cruz, 19, was the gunman who entered the school campus of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and began shooting with a AR-15 to all the students and teachers that he saw in the hallways.
In a news conference, Scott Israel, Broward Sheriff explained that Cruz arrived to the school at 2:19 pm and two minutes later, he started shooting into several classrooms. After killing people in the first and second floor, he dropped his gun on the third floor and ran away.
Here are the facts:
- According to the Gun Violence Archive, this is the 30rd massive shooting in 2018, and we are only in february.
- The institute also revealed that since 2012, at least 1,829 people died and 6,447 were wounded.
- When he was only 18 years old, Nikolas Cruz, bouth his weapon in a legally way. Cruz was not old enough to buy alcohol, but could legally buy a semi-automatic AR 15 rifle.
- The man who killed the 58 people in Las Vegas had 23 guns in his hotel room, including an AR-15 rifle.
- In United States there are 89 guns per 100 people.
If you want to know more about the history of the mass shootings in USA, I invite you to read this article by the journalist OLIVIA B. WAXMAN